SIAM BLADES PROUDLY PRESENTS...
It is our Honour to offer you a Chef Knife Making Class in Chiang Mai with Che, our resident Thai Blacksmith!
Book with Confidence! We Personally Recommend & Vouch for our Thai Blacksmith, Che!
Chiang Mai Knife Making Class Includes:
- 2-3 Days of workshop space & personal instruction to make a knife
- All materials & tools required are provided to make a Wa Gyuto Chef Knife (210mm)
- High Carbon Steel to forge/grind into a knife
- Wood/Material to create a functional knife handle
- Expert instruction & coaching
- Finished blade is yours to keep!
- 1-2 Night Homestay Optional (there are single beds in dorm style, or open cabin with mosquito net for camp style)
- Quality experience & lifetime of great memories working with the talented artist known as Che.
Che is an expert Thai Knife Maker, specializing in functional chef knives. He is one of the talented knife maker's in Thailand that use modern blacksmithing techniques found around the world. From expert heat treat that create natural Hamon patterns, to advance handle & blade work, Che will help you craft a lasting experience through your very own Chef Knife!
This is actually a unique homestay experience, with local Thai Knife Maker, Che is opening up his family home if you need accommodation. Stay with locals, as Che has 2-3 single beds indoors with fans, or you can opt to stay in an open cabin style house with mosquito netting & Thai mats. Very intimate setting, as you fall asleep to the sounds of frogs, geckos and birds singing in the night & morning.
Che's family are more than accommodating and a pleasure to meet from our personal experience. We highly recommend this very unique experience if visiting Chiang Mai, Thailand.
Che's interests includes cooking, in which he needed functional knives to prep his food with so he learned the art of blacksmithing. He loves coffee and making his own blends, so feel free to bring your own and share! Che performs in blade cutting competitions throughout Thailand, and is part of a tight-knit community of knife makers that learn and grow from their group experiences. Making knives is a hobby for Che, and it is also a lifestyle that provides tools for his family to use in everyday life.
SPECIFICS: BOOKING CLASSES:
- Please allow 2 weeks notice when booking classes (less time can be arranged, contact us directly email@example.com)
- Upon checkout, please confirm the date of your desired class & whether or not you will require utilizing our Homestay. We can arrange a hotel in the area if needed (email firstname.lastname@example.org with dates/time)
- 1 quantity in your cart is booking for 1 guest. Please add 1 quantity to your cart if booking for 2 people. 3+ knife makers please email for availability.
- Families welcomed! Any guests wanting to watch and relax are allowed, please specify how many non-class participating guests are coming.
- Please book at least 2 weeks in advance, to give us time to prep materials and ensure the blacksmith's availability. Any less notice, will have to be determined on a case by case basis. Please email us at email@example.com to discuss.
WA GYUTO CHEF KNIFE (210mm)
- All Classes are 100% refundable, 8 days prior of the class day start date.
- 50% refundable within 7-3 days prior to class day
- 25% refundable 2 days before start of class day
- 0% refundable within 24 hours of class start day
- This ensures our blacksmith is not out of pocket for materials purchased and time taken off to facilitate your stay.
- Any purchased class can be rescheduled at a later date. Please keep in mind that we forward funds to our blacksmith within 1-2 days after purchase.
- The main Chef Knife covered in this class is the tried and trusted Wa Gyuto Japanese Style Chef Knife (pictured) with a rough finish and handle. If you wish to craft a different style or length chef knife, or knife style altogether, it is at the discretion of the Knife Maker & possibly at an additional cost. We are offering a style that we are confident will only take 2-3 days, and while learn advance craftsmanship, any additional deviations from our lesson plan will require additional fees/time. Basically, work it out with the maker in person after purchasing this class if you wish to customize based on your desires.
- With hard work and determination, it should only take you 2 days to complete a knife, or max 3 days to finalize everything, depending on the mood. Very casual relaxed atmosphere, no pressure but there is the onus on client to work and finish the blade in a timely manner. If you require more time, please work it out with the blacksmith, or you can take your knife with learned experience home to finish. This is KnifeSurfer, not CouchSurfer.
- We have set the limit to students per class to 1 per knife made. This ensures that you have direct access to 1:1 coaching, as well as use of all tools needed without delay.
- If you wish to purchase in pairs, please feel free to purchase 2 class passes to make 2 knives. For class sizes above 2 guests, please let us know.
- Families are welcome! Any bystanders are more than welcome to watch or visit. Please give us advance notice if you are travelling with guests and require more room if staying at the homestay onsite. Space is limited, but it's a fair size property (3 single beds + open walled cabin)
NOT INCLUDED IN CLASS:
- Che's Knife Making Homestay is easily accessible in the Hang Dong Neighbourhood of Chiang Mai.
- Approximately 25 minutes (14km) from Downtown Chiang Mai / CMX Airport
- Closer to Grand Canyon Waterpark (8 minutes away)
- Plenty of Hotels & Hostels close by if you wish for air conditioned accommodation
FOOD - While Che is opening up his home for guests, and will gladly provide some meals without asking for compensation, it is recommended that you either go shopping at a local market for food, or provide some baht for them to purchase food to cook with. Che loves to grill & BBQ, so feel free to chip in on cooking duties & supplies. It's more of a communal atmosphere than a catered service, so feel free to explore the area and bring back some delicious treats, food & drinks to share. (We gave Che 500 baht for each meal for 2 people, and he cooked us some delicious local Thai food & BBQ, and beer too!)TRANSPORTATION
- We cannot guarantee transportation to and from Che's location. We can try to arrange, but a taxi/Grab is preferred for ease of use. ENGLISH TRANSLATION
- Che's English is limited, but he has a friendly demeanour and he coaches through example and basic english. It was easy to watch and learn, then get guidance along the way.